Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Memory's "UNCANNY'ed" Thought of The Day: 10 Things I Learned from My Fast

I decided to fast February 1 - February 21 for several reasons, but the main reason was because I knew that my relationship with God was not where it needed to be, and I wanted to commit myself to getting to a place with him that I could hear Him speak to me.

I have to first say that it was an AMAZING experience and I learned a lot about myself. There are several things I gave up:

Alcohol
Sex
Cursing
Red Meat
Chicken

And several other things, that I do not believe I need to reveal....God knows what they were and I'm satisfied with that ;)

At the beginning of the fast, I concentrated on counting down the days, because I didn't think that I could make it three weeks without any of these things. It's amazing how dependent we get on things that bring "happiness".

There were 10 main things that God revealed to me about Him and myself:

1) I was once too impulsive...never again. everything will be thought out before I commit to it. My impulsive nature has caused lots of pain- physical, emotional, and financial.

2) Know your real friends. Real friends will stick with you and love you through all flaws and pain. Cherish REAL friends. Unconditionally love your friends, and expect them to do the same.

3) Live and walk in the truth. Even if it hurts, tell the truth. Tell.The.Truth.Period.

4) God is with you. ALWAYS. God has always been there. My carnality just pushed Him to the bottom of my priority list.

5)God has a plan for you. TRUST it. His plan will always be better than yours.

6)Jesus was crucified, so what makes you think you won't go through pain? If not me, then who? If not now, when?

7) There's several things I gave up that I may not go back to. Don't know if I want to.... when I was a child I spake as a child...

8) I must say, this endeavor fell right in line with swimsuit season. I am going to KILL my swimsuit this summer!

9)God sees me a precious rare jewel...hence I should see myself in the same light. Thank you God for loving me IN SPITE OF...this type of unconditional love is why God is God. Thank you God. Thank you.

10)If I had to do the fast all over again...I would. God means more to me than any feeling, food, or fun. I owe him so much more.

God is so faithful to his people. Even when I strayed God was always there. Why? Who knows...only he does, but I thank him every day for just being faithful. His faithfulness in me is unwavering, and I know that I have a cheerleader in him.

I also thank God for his Grace and Mercy. You have to really sit back and meditate on what grace and mercy actually is. GRACE is getting the things we DO NOT deserve, while MERCY is NOT getting the things we DO deserve. Think about it for a moment and rejoice!

When I think about all of the things and consequences I deserved based on my unfaithfulness to Him, all I can do is thank him for his beautiful mercy. Thank you God. There are so many things that I do not deserve. Because of his grace, I continually am blessed. Thank you God.

I can't finish this right now. Too emotional...Remain faithful in God, he will never give up on you. He is with you always. You can be sure of it (Matt 28:20). Keep your mind on him and his promises for you life, and you will be PERFECT peace (Isaiah 26:3)!

2 comments:

nicky hazel said...

I love to see growth! You are definitely coming into the person that God wants you to be, not what you think the world *needs* you to be. Get it? Sometimes you have to take a step back and allow God to humble you. Moving home did that for me, and it has truly been the best decision I've ever made because I trusted God. He's going take you places you never thought you could go. That also means he might do a lot of re-arranging when it comes to "friends", but Jeremiah 29:11 explains the outcome of that :-) Keep trusting, keep growing and keep loving! Be blessed chica!

Kimbo Ra said...

Wow Mem, I am certainly looking forward to your visit, we have a lot to discuss! It appears that this experience has been the beginning of a beautiful transformation occurring within you. The goodness in you has always been a part of you that anyone could see but now it IS you... I love it!