Thursday, November 3, 2011

...stronger, wiser, better...

Gospel music singer Marvin Sapp has an infamous song entitled, "Never Would Have Made It", and the history behind this song is just as powerful as the ballad.

In an interview, Marvin talks about the inception of the song:

"...Never Would Have Made It was actually written the Sunday after my father's funeral. We had eulogized him. And it was difficult for me. I had to throw the blanket in the casket. I had to close the casket. I had stand up and say "earth to earth, ashes to ashes". I had to preach the message and drop him off at the cemetery to be buried. But the Sunday after that, I went into the church and everybody was functioning. They were functioning normally. The ushers were where they were supposed to be; the deacons were where they were supposed to be. And I was standing there thinking, "What's going on? Don't these people see that I'm in pain? Don't they see I am hurting?" Then I said, "God, I'm not preaching today. I can't do it. I don't think I can make it." God said to me, "Marvin, there's something you need to understand. Although your father isn't with you physically, I will never leave you nor will I forsake you. I will be with you always even until the end of the earth." Then I walked into the pulpit with my Bible. When God began to assure me that He was there for me, I stood up. I grabbed the microphone and started singing, Never Would Have Made It...The song came just like that; the whole entire song. I started singing, "never would have made it, never could have made it without you. I would have lost it all, but now I see how you were there for me and because of this, I'm stronger, I'm wiser, I'm better, so much better. And when I look back over all you brought me through. I realize I made it because I had you to hold on to." It came out just like that. Needless to say, I didn't preach that Sunday. I can't even sing that song at my church; I can't. We've traveled all over the nation and I sing it everywhere. It really wrecks every church because it's simple; it speaks to everybody."

The entire article can be found here.

Indeed, the song does touch many people, however, the one phrase in the song "I'm stronger, I'm wiser, I'm better" spoke directly to me.

Everything in your life is divinely orchestrated to direct you down a path God has uniquely created for you! Every trial, test, tribulation--God allowed it. For it is WITHIN that trial, that test, that tribulation that God prepares you to receive what is on the other side of the valley.

It is in our human nature to question why God allows things to happen to us, and what I had to take solace with is you are not exempt from bad circumstances just because you may have a relationship with God. I would like to even believe that because of my relationship with God, I am more prone to go through trying situations to test the solidarity of my faith.

When you actually take a step back and reflect on all of the circumstances that should have broken you, you have to take the time to realize that...you made it...YOU MADE IT!

Take comfort in the fact that God is with us always. He will never leave us, nor fosake us.

If God leads you to it, he will bring you through it...and I guarantee you will come out of your situation stronger, wiser, better....MUCH better.

I pray that this post speaks to your faith. For with faith, you can do the impossible. Your faith can move mountains. Your faith allows you to do ANYTHING.

Peace and Blessings.